Friday, February 12, 2010

A heart-sized lesson for Valentine’s Day


Earlier this evening, after a trip to the grocery store, I made a flippant comment on Facebook.

The target of my impertinence was men – the men who stood in the express line, clutching a dozen roses wrapped in cellophane – the men who, in my nearsighted view, take their relationship for granted and put little thought into their romantic gesture for a materialistic holiday.

I smiled smugly in my judgment.

Until a friend responded.

He shared that he had been in “that” line. He shared that he delivers colorful roses to the special women in his life – wife, daughters, and a granddaughter – every Valentine’s Day. What a beautiful expression of love.

Suddenly, I wasn’t smiling anymore. I was reminded that I can’t read minds. In fact, I shouldn’t even try. Perhaps I’m the one who needs to put more thought into my actions.

Valentine’s Day is an easy target. It’s effortless to take aim at Cupid and blame all heartfelt sentiments on the commercialization of love. But for those who are tempted to scoff at the holiday, we overlook something important. Pop culture may portray V-Day as a mandate to send overpriced greeting cards, but the real reason for the holiday is much more – Valentine’s Day is a celebration of love and affection.

In a topsy-turvy world, we should all pause and take the time to articulate our love for others. I am blessed to have people in my life who I love, and even more so, to have people who love me too.

Love is a wonderful thing. Instead of dismissing Valentine’s Day, let’s savor its magic. And maybe next time, you’ll see me in that express line too…

No comments:

Post a Comment